Saturday, February 16, 2013

The Vic




Fans of live music will be looking anxiously at popular venue The Vic as news broke this week that it is up for sale. Licensees David Young and Anna Spawson have decided to call it a day after eight successful and extremely busy years.

The Old Town pub on the corner of Victoria Road and Union Row was built in 1845 and quickly proved popular with the punters.  In 1847 landlady Emma Pike was prosecuted for opening after hours at what was then a humble beerhouse.

In 1867 the property was rebuilt and let to Oxfordshire brewer Clinch & Co of Witney on a yearly basis. By 1907 the pub was known as the Victoria Inn where Mark Applegate was behind the bar.  Later owned by Wadley Brothers of the Sun Brewery, Highworth the pub was acquired by Trowbridge brewers Ushers when they took over Wadleys in 1918.

David and Anna told the Advertiser that business is booming, which is part of the problem.  After eight hectic years the couple are in need of a break, although David still hopes to have some involvement when the new owners take over, helping with promotions and as a sound engineer.

Gigs and events continue as advertised.  This weekend - 16th and 17th February - sees the appearance of two tribute bands.  Tonight Kings Ov Leon will be playing and tomorrow it's the turn of Kate Bush Tribute - Never Forever.  On 20th February Wacky Wednesday presents the Annual Vic Karaoke competition Heat 2. For more information visit the website on www.thevicswindon.com. 

The 1950s photo shows the Man With A Stick in action beneath the gaze of a less than interested bystander.  For more about the famous Man With A Stick visit www.swindonheritage.com and for the full series of photographs see Swindon Local Studies Collection.



No comments:

Post a Comment