Friday, August 10, 2012

A virtual walk through Radnor Street Cemetery - Richard Strange


The sixth day of our virtual walking week through Radnor Street Cemetery and the final resting place of Richard Strange.

The Strange family had a finger in many Victorian pies.  Among the businesses they owned were Swindon’s first bank, Strange, Strange and Co., a linen and woollen draper’s shop in the High Street, a grocers in Wood Street and a Coal and Salt Merchants at Canal Wharf. Long time supporters of nonconformity, James Strange financed the building of the Independent or Congregational Church of Christ in Newport Street. 


This is the final resting place of Richard Strange, cheesefactor and tenant farmer at Mannington Farm in Lydiard Tregoze.  The farmland has been swallowed up in the building of West Swindon, but the farmhouse remains, now converted into flats.


Richard Strange junior was born in 1799, the son of banker and grocer Richard senior and his wife Mary.  Richard married his cousin Martha, youngest daughter of Uncle James and Aunt Sarah Strange in 1834. 
Martha Strange died in 1858 and was originally buried alongside Richard’s parents in the family vault at the chapel in Newport Street. 

Richard remained at Mannington Farm until his death in 1883 aged 84 years.  His only daughter Julia took on the running of the farm.

The Newport Street Chapel was demolished in 1866 and the burial ground remained intact for almost twenty years. But in 1884 the bodies were exhumed and those of Richard and his immediate family were reinterred in this new vault at Radnor Street Cemetery.



Tomorrow on our walk we visit the graves of 'Speedy' Kiddle and his daughter Marcia.


No comments:

Post a Comment